CHRONOLOGY


Warrimoo’s Chronology so far…


 

  •                   40,000 + BP       Archeological site at the junction of Fitzgeralds Creek and Nepean River, supervised by Father Eugene Stockton,  confirms Indigenous occupation of the area for at least 40,000 years.
  •                   40,000—10,000 BP       Local Aboriginal people, the Darug and Gundungarra, emerge successfully from the Ice Age.
  •                   1770 AD     Arrival of Captain Cook at Botany Bay.

  •                  1788      Arrival of First Fleet, approx. 1500 convicts, free settlers and troops at Sydney Cove. Within a year of the arrival, Smallpox sweeps through the local Eora people and up to the Blue Mountains (as well as across the ‘Mountains?).

  •                  1789      Captain Watkin Tench and Lieutenant William Dawes discover the Nepean River. “Yellamundi” (“Yarramundi”) helps them cross the river—he has the tell-tale scars from Smallpox on his body.

  •                   1789      Dawes attempts a crossing of the Mountains. His “line of march” takes him through the area of Warrimoo, roughly following the route of present-day high tension electricity wires. Latest research indicates that he successfully made the distance to Mt. Hay, then returned.

  •                  1813      Blaxland, Wentworth and Lawson pass through the area of Warrimoo on their crossing of the Blue Mountains. Near Warrimoo/Sun Valley Blaxland noted "...the grass and timber tolerably good" as well as "several native huts at different places...", then the "Brush" became "much thicker" as they approached the area around Springwood.
  •                  1814      George Evans makes a trigonometric reading at Warrimoo as he returns from his exploration of Blaxland, Wentworth and Lawson’s route, as well as blazing a trail further west to Bathurst. His reading was recorded as:                                                              LAT 33* 45’ 22”                                         LONG 150* 35’ 52”
  •                   1814      William Cox, along with 30 convicts, twelve military guards and two Aboriginal “guides”, “Joe” from Mulgoa and “Coley” (“Colebee”?) from the Boorooborongal/Richmond area, builds a road across the Blue Mountains according to the Governor’s specifications—basically along the route of the present Great Western Highway, although it became known as the ‘Bathurst Road”. An “incident” with the Darug occurs, approaching the area of Warrimoo as the road was being cleared.

 

 
  •                 1815      Governor Lachlan Macquarie and his wife, Elizabeth carry out a “tour”, in a carriage, on Cox’s road across the Mountains.

  •        1816         As part of precautions for travelling safety, all people crossing the Mountains must apply for a pass from the Governor
 
  •       1828        Thomas Livingstone Mitchell becomes Surveyor-General of NSW. He constructs a new road up "Mitchell's Pass" and a new descent at Mt. Victoria, thus making the crossing of the 'mountains much more popular
   








 

  •      1830's     Various travellers, including Charles Darwin, describe their journeys across the 'Mountains  

        

  •      1851         Edward Hammond Hargraves, with substantial help from John Hardman Lister and the Tom family, engineers the first Australian Gold Rush, leading to the immigration of 700,000 people from all corners of the globe over the next decade. The 'Great Western Road' across the blue Mountains becomes a hive of activity, but the area now known as 'Warrimoo' remained a camp-site.
 
  
  •       1861         NSW Premier John Robertson introduces a set of Land Acts which makes land at places like 'Warrimoo' both more available and desirable.
 
 
  •      1867      John Whitton organises construction of the railway across the Blue Mountains, including the Nepean River Bridge and the two 'Zig-Zags' at the book-end escarpments.


 
  •      1879    Frederick Somers acquires the first 50 acre Crown Land Grant at 'Karabar', on the southern side of the railway line. Others quickly follow.
 
  •       1882     The 'Karabar Estate' is launched by Richardson and Wrench on William Pinhey's block, immediately adjacent to the new Karabar Platform.
 


  •      1883      William H. Pinhey sets up a 'Land Agent's' office in King St., Sydney. He is a wealthy banker seeking profits in land development. 'Karabar' is an early foray. It was not the booming success he had hoped for.

  •    1886       Thomas Smiley arrives in Sydney seeking work on the NSW Railways. He is destined to become one of the first white settlers of Karabar, if not the very first.
 
 
  •    1890's      The 'Karabar Estate' remains scarcely settled, although Thomas and Mary Smiley are living near the Platform. He is a 'fettler', and she a 'railway gate keeper' of the railway gates for the Highway Crossing at Karabar. They are the couple at the right of this historic photograph...
 
  •   1897   'Karabar' Platform closed down due to 'lack of patronage'...it was reopened again five years later, possibly to assist Timbergetters. 
 
  •   1900   The 'Cyclists Guide' describes the Highway at the time...'A long and fairly steep hill with a steep descent to railway gates at Karabar. The road becomes loose and sandy after crossing the line, still downhill, up a fairly long hill...' 


  •   1918    Sydney developer Arthur Rickard buys up the 'Karabar Estate' and convinces the Railway Commissioners to change the name of the new platform to 'Warrimoo'. The first 'Rejected Volunteers Association' house is handed over to war widow, Mrs Simpson in December. Six other RVA homes are built around Warrimoo around this time.
 
  •   1919    Rickard's development proceeds apace. The 'Rickard Road' subdivision is released, a 'model bungalow' is built on The Boulevarde and the General Store on the Highway is completed. A fire erupts in the General Store on Christmas night and is burnt to the ground. Henry Varlow, the occupant, is charged with arson. The store is rebuilt in 1925, and operated by the Breakspears.
 
  •  1920   Ex-serviceman Harry Todd, living in one of the RVA homes in Florabella Street which he names Mons Regina (meaning 'Mountain Queen'), constructs a beautiful glass garden all around the property. He dedicates it to his wife. 
  •  1922   The Way family--parents Ellen and Walter, children Harold and Lawrence-- arrive in Warrimoo. By now there are several families and around 20 buildings scattered throughout the subdivision

  •   1923 (?) Warrimoo Progress Association set up to broach community concerns to the 'Blue Mountains Shire Council', located in Lawson. One of the primary concerns was electrification for lighting and train-stop times at the station.
 
  •   1926   'Kookaburra Hall' built on the Highway, half way to Blaxland. It was used almost immediately for local dances and fraternising between the two communities--new shop completed in its current form
 
  •   1927  Blaxland PS opens on the Highway and Warrimoo children now have a shorter walk to school, having previously attended Springwood PS. The first teacher there is Mr. William Wurth.

  •  1928  Electricity comes to Warrimoo to provide scant vision along the roads at night



No comments:

Post a Comment