George Edward Ardill (1857-1945)
George Edward Ardill (1857-1945), evangelist and social worker, was born on 17 December 1857 at
, second son of
Joshua Ardill, plasterer, and his wife Anna Maria, née Johnson. The family were
New South Wales
After elementary education at
he took an office job and then in 1883 briefly set up in Parramatta Pitt Street, Sydney,
as a stationer and printer. While still in his 20s he devoted himself to
full-time charity organization. Already attracted to the gospel temperance
movement, he started the Blue Ribbon Gospel Army, a temperance organization
which long remained under his personal direction. He joined the Local Option
League on its formation in 1883, and later the New South Wales Alliance, serving
it for some thirty years as councillor, honorary treasurer, and secretary in
In taking the gospel to the godless at late-night street meetings, Ardill discovered destitute and homeless women. With characteristic practicality, he set about providing shelter and in 1890 formed the Sydney Rescue Work Society to help finance his work; it became a major charitable organization, attracting support from (Sir) Samuel McCaughey and Ebenezer Vickery. In 1884 an All Night Refuge and the Home of Hope for Friendless and Fallen Women were opened, the latter a lying-in hospital to which later he attached a commercial laundry where the women were gainfully employed and given 'training'. In another home, the Crusade to Women operated to reclaim the penitent, especially those saved from drink. He ran two other homes for discharged prisoners in 1884-91.
So that the mothers from the Home of Hope could take work where a child was not acceptable, Ardill soon was involved in providing for the unwanted children. In 1886 he founded the Society for Providing Homes for Neglected Children, which opened Our Babies' Home that year, Our Children's Home at Liverpool in 1887 and, in 1890, Our Boys' Farm Home at
where older boys were to be trained on
near-by farms. In the 1890s Ardill was organizing crèches in the city. By then
he was reputedly a director of twelve societies: his work was becoming less
directed to rescuing the fallen than to providing for the needy. Camden
|Ardill photographed outside the Home for Neglected Children at Concord, later to be named 'Ardill House'.|
On 8 September 1885 at the
Baptist Church Bathurst Street,
Ardill had married Louisa (1853-1920), daughter of Thomas Wales. She had had
experience as an evangelist in England
and, after her arrival in
in 1883, in the Blue Ribbon Gospel Army and the Woman's Christian Temperance
Union. She served on the executive of the latter, superintended its franchise
department in 1901-02, and represented it on the New South Wales Alliance for
many years. Louisa also shared her husband's work, taking prayer-meetings,
acting as supervisor from time to time in one or other of the homes and,
notably, as matron-superintendent of the Home of Hope hospital, which provided
under her direction and instruction a training centre for midwifery: in 1900
seventy-six trainees passed the external examinations, their fees amounting to
about a tenth of the hospital's income. As it came to be used more by private
patients in separate rooms, it was renamed South Sydney Women's Hospital.
Extensions were made in 1904 and 1911, and surgical and gynaecological
departments added. Louisa died in 1920 after a long illness but the hospital
continued until World War II without government subsidy. Sydney
|George Ardill's first wife Louisa Ardill (nee Wales) set up a training centre for midwives, which later grew into South Sydney Women's Hospital. She died in 1920, and Ardill remarried one Kelsie Hannah Starr in the following year.|
Ardill was less successful in extending his other institutions, despite persistent effort and ingenuity in fund-raising, such as publicity in his quarterly magazine, Rescue. By adopting the cottage home as his model, he had considerable staff expenses and substantial mortgages to pay off. Repeatedly in financial difficulties and occasionally vilified in the press for failing to publish accounts, he juggled the funds, paying current expenses from building appeals and foregoing some of the modest allowance due to him as director of the Rescue Work Society.
Although he had successfully sued the Australian Workman for libel in 1891, he was severely reprimanded by the 1898-99 royal commission on public charities for sometimes failing to pay employees and also for his leniency in not forcing his unfortunate women out to work and allowing some to be admitted for a second illegitimate child. Prepared in principle to agree with the commissioners, he was kinder in practice: government subsidies (received since 1893) ceased. Although he remained executive director of the children's and the babies' homes until 1945 the numbers in his care gradually declined.
Interested as an evangelist in the Aborigines, Ardill joined the New South Wales Aborigines Protection Association, which financially supported Daniel Matthews's mission. Secretary from 1886, he was involved in the removal of the Maloga settlement. Ardill joined the Aborigines Protection Board in 1897, representing the association. A regular visitor to its stations, he became the board's most active member, a vice-president by 1909 and its effective policy-maker. Convinced of the need for positive policies to change the situation of Aborigines, Ardill set about making them 'useful members of the State' by taking the children away from the Aboriginal community, putting them to work in private homes or on station properties, and placing others, too young for work, in his homes. The 1909 Act conferring the requisite authority on the board to place or 'apprentice' neglected children was largely due to his efforts, as was the reorganization of the board's work.
In 1915, again on his recommendation, amendments to the Act strengthened the board's hand, but were condemned as 'reintroduction of slavery', and by the secretary of the Australian Aborigines Mission as attacking Aboriginal family life. Whether on account of these objections or on other grounds, Ardill had over-reached himself. He had pestered the government for more money and over the appointment of inspectors, and in 1916 was forced off the board.
Ardill was an expert lobbyist. He was a founding member of the Social Purity Society in 1886 and later secretary of its vigilance committee on public morals, and a founder and in 1890 secretary of the New South Wales Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children. He successfully campaigned for an affiliation Act establishing a woman's right to support from the putative father of her child before its birth, and for a children's court, but failed to get the age of consent raised from fourteen to seventeen. He was convinced that where women were destitute and without recourse to support, infanticide occurred.
The Ardills were ecumenical ahead of their times: both were prepared to conduct services or speak in other churches. A member of the Evangelical Council of New South Wales, Ardill helped to organize some of the special missions which in the early years of the century drew attendances of 50,000 to 100,000, and was joint secretary for the J. Wilbur Chapman and Charles Alexander mission of 1908. He later served as local secretary for the Australasian Chapman-Alexander Bible Institute. In his latter years the United Preachers' Association of New South Wales was especially dear to him.
Awarded an M.B.E. in 1934 for community service, Ardill died on 11 May 1945 at Stanmore and was buried in
cemetery with Anglican rites. His
estate was valued for probate at £13,356. Survived by a son and daughter, he
was predeceased by his second wife Kelsie Hannah, née Starr, whom he had
married on 5 October 1921; before and after marriage she helped to run the mission's
office. Probably the friend giving the funeral oration came closest to the
essential Ardill: 'He loved to plan and scheme and contrive in the interests of
causes dear to his heart'. Waverley
 This whole text is derived from the Australian Dictionary of Biography—adb.anu.adu.au/biography/ardill-george-edward-5048